Sunday, October 23, 2011

Book Review of This Is US: The New All-American Family

A couple of weeks ago, I won a copy of This Is US: The New All-American Family by David Marin from a contest hosted by Goodreads.com. I just finished reading it tonight and thought I would share my opinion on it.  This is a direct quote from the back of the book:
"Heartbreaking, funny, and inspiring, This Is US, chronicles Davis Marin's quest to adopt three siblings stuck in the social services system, adjust to his new role as a father, and create a better life for all of them."
After reading this I thought to myself, why can't there be more men like this guy? Tired of waiting for the wife and white picket fence opted to make his dreams of a family come true by fostering and adopting children on his own. This guy should be made into a saint! This was an extremely touching book as well as sad. It's also very eye opening. I knew that there are a lot of children in the foster care system but I never knew how many were awaiting adoption and how few actually get adopted thanks to the ridiculous hoops prospective parents are put through. This book should be required reading for anyone going into social services as a career as well as for the parents who are seeking to foster and/or adopt. This isn't normally my usual genre of reading but it was still a really good book...a little slow in places but it was forgivable.                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you...