Thursday, November 10, 2011

Shave for a Cure!

Every year, 160,000 children worldwide are diagnosed with cancer. Cancer is the number one disease killer of children in the United States and Canada. Research is the key to saving lives. The St. Baldrick's Foundation is a charity run by volunteers dedicated to finding a cure for childhood cancers. 

On March 17th, 2000, executives John Bender, Tim Kenny, and Enda McDonnell used their company St. Patrick's Day party as an opportunity to benefit kids with cancer. 20 people stepped up and agreed to shave their heads with the hope of raising "$17,000 on the 17th". They reached their goal and then some. They ended up raising over $104,000!

This charity quickly grew into the world's largest volunteer fundraising program for childhood cancer research. The St. Baldrick's Foundation has funded more grants for research than any other organization except for the U.S. government. Since 2000, more than 189,660 volunteers, including 17,200 women, have shaved their heads at events in dozens of countries and every U.S. state raising over $117 million for cancer research.

Kelly McCausey, editor of Mom's Talk Network, is on a mission to raise $5,000 before Black Friday. On November 25th, 2011 if the $5,000 goal is met she will have her head shaved live via streaming video! So open your hearts and your wallets and make a donation today! To make your donation please click below:

1 comment:

  1. I think it is wonderful that she is doing this. I wish I had the money to help donate to her cause. I recently cut my hair (about 12 inches) and I will be mailing it to a group that makes wigs for children soon. I wish I was brave enough to shave my entire head, but I hope at least the little I did do will help someone.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you...