Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Beauty of Oxygen

I've had a few brushes with death over the years, near miss car accidents, heart failure all of which were very scary. Let me tell you it's a whole different level of scary when your whole family has a brush with death, including your pets. Last night hubby and I were watching TV in bed, we had just put the little ones in bed with a movie when someone began pounding on our front door. I got up and nervously went to the door because it was pretty late and we weren't expecting anyone to come over. I asked who is it and the response was "Fire Department!" I immediately began to panic and flung open the door. The fireman told me that I needed to get everyone out of the apartment as quickly as possible because they had found extremely high levels of carbon monoxide throughout our apartment building. He told me to open all the windows before exiting but I needed to get the children out immediately.

We ended up waiting outside for about an hour and a half before the levels were safe enough for everyone to go back inside. Come to find out it was a faulty furnace upstairs that was the culprit. I thank god that the girl next door and the people upstairs were home because it was their carbon monoxide detectors that alerted them to the situation. We had a carbon monoxide detector but my son broke it and it was just one of those things that I forgot to replace when we were at the store. Needless to say I high tailed my butt up to Walmart at 2:30 a.m. to buy a new carbon monoxide detector. So hopefully the Kidde Carbon Monoxide Alarm I purchased will save our lives when needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you...